Here users can add some ideas. We may move something to our roadmap and later to the implemeted list. Please check if a similar entry is already here.
If you have an immediate feature request for Freevo-1.x please use the Feature Request Tracker http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_id=46652&atid=446898
- Integrate pykaraoke in freevo
- Compiz/Xgl support - my Freevo is transparent in nature when started under running Compiz.
- [Geo-Navigation] Google Maps (Satellite, Map and Hybrid): integrated with the freevo suite, controlling the navigation with an IR remote, for example.
- [Geo-Navigation] GPS capability and live route guidance (for embedded/mobile freevo, future maybe..).
- [Geo-Navigation] Route plotting/possibilities using public transportation schedules and own transportation parameters (on foot and/or vehicle), considering traffic whenever possible. Desktop for starters (before leaving home/office), mobile using GPS capabilities afterwards (with real-time corrections).
- Auto Update
- A simple benchmarking script
- Touchscreen support (I'd love to replace my stereo to listen to MP3 and Radio, and a touchscreen would add a lot WAF)
- Make a port of freevo for PS2/Linux and make it like a bootable cdimage so that is can be burned like a iso and be able to use the PS2 network adapter to play film and mp3 over networkconnected samba servers. Suatable for HDAdvance for PS2
- Dancing\Animated mascot. ie:Tux gettin jiggy with it in the bottom right, while playing back music.
[Games] Scummvm added => http://www.scummvm.org/
[Music] Muse Pack Audio (MPC) => http://www.musepack.net/
- Child Friendly,Channel Block Timer with user configurable pop up message (like GO TO BED NOW)
pcHDTV support - http://www.pchdtv.com/
- Answer Machine (with pop up notice or no phone at movie)
New Topic Presentation: So that you can show your presentation in Flash or PowerPoint like (http://www.digitaldistribution.com/samples/ooointro11en.swf) with OpenOffice (http://www.openoffice.org/) or Magic Point (http://www.mew.org/mgp). This isn't that simple, the application we use must provide an image output for Freevo to show.
- Keyword search on stored audio/video file names, tv guide and id3 tags (similar to xmms's "Jump To File" search window).
Stream video across network to any streaming media player. (streaming server plugin in progress!)
RDS (http://www.rds.org.uk/) support for FM radio station identification (may only work in Europe)
Support for parsing and displaying station information from http://www.publicradiofan.com/
Directv Serial Control... Like -> http://www.pcmx.net/dtvcon
- Support for using mpg123 and ogg123 to play music (for freevo-boxes with slow hardware)
Ability to use SKIN_FORCE_TEXTVIEW_STYLE to turn on Text View always instead of just when certain conditions are met. Perhaps where it == 3. Also having an option to do that in folder.fxd files would be useful.
Index recorded tv using the closed captions (teletext). (ie. similar to the way google is currently doing it http://video.google.com/videosearch?q=%22google+video%22 )
- Support for a RSS media aggregator like 'iPodder' and management of downloaded Podcasts. The aggregator would gather subscribed to shows throughout the day. Giving easy living room access to these increasing popular video and audio shows on the Internet.
Web browser plugin - possibly using minimo in "CSS for small devices" mode (ie. where "small device" = the low resolution of a tv screen) http://www.mozilla.org/projects/minimo/ipaq_screenshots.html
- Music visualization, like Rhythmbox.
Implemented in Freevo 1.7.x
Last.fm plugin, maybe some code can be reused from LastFMProxy (http://vidar.gimp.org/?page_id=50)
- Stand alone Bootable freevo with LCD support - When it will be?
*See FreevoLive - currently the main live Freevo distro
*(Comment by Dischi: this is an extra project. Freevo is only the GUI program, someone else should create a freevo distribution) - There is currently a distro being develop specificaly for freevo and the Epia Mini-itX Boards - http://www.freepia.org/
- Enter channel number directliy during watching TV. Currently, this only works for channels 0-9.
Support for VLC, could easily add playback support for ISO-image, DivX, XviD and more, even network streaming => http://www.videolan.org
- Correct the "-demuxer 17" problem with mplayer. Many of my MP3 songs can not be played with this argument. With other players they can be played without any problems.
Implemented in Freevo 1.5.x
- Virtual CD/DVD-ROM (Plays images in ISO format for DVD playback with menus)
- Foreign Language music movie title
Video subtitles support, after video selection it could be show a list with subtitle files on the current directory (if any). Idea to link with Matroska container(http://www.matroska.org).
- Web radio recording (Vsound ?)
- Different remote keymaps in different areas. ie use numbers for navigation in menu system and for selecting channels while watching TV.
- Music played in background; do not stop playing when leaving the musicentry for gaming for example
MAME arcade/console emulator (ie: http://advancemame.sourceforge.net/ )
Implemented in Freevo 2.x
- Feel free to update it.
This will be done in Freevo 2.0, even if we don't know how
- TV live pause
- Instant recording. E.g. press REC button during TV to start recording. Multiple pressing of REC button sets time limit to 30Min, 60Min, 90Min, ... (comment by jbreiding: if channel has been streamed, current channel has been watched since begining of the show, rec should start recording for the begining of live stream or show, which ever is shorter. and end rec at the end of show if time limit has not been set.)
- Teletext support
- Tivo Style Functions... Like auto commercial skip, live tv rewind fast foward pause
- Autoupload of pictures from a digital camera when plugged in over USB (ieka: Hasn't this been done!? If not, I'm on it.)
- Dynamic Playlists. "while playing" editing of playlists.
- DVD backups. Settings for bitrate etc. (almost done : see encodingserver in the Freevo addons selection)
- Add support for mjpeg recording of video for off-line compression
- Adjustment of saturation, contrast, etc for both TV-in and TV-out.
- Have a menu choice to save the settings to a config file
- Autodetect+mount SMB shares on the network
- Picture-In-Picture, channelscan
- Both using one or two WinTV boards
- MP3 playing:
- Select several playlists and AND or OR them together.
- Use blursk (or something similar) to display fancy graphics
- Configuration GUI to write local_conf.py (ieka: Got it covered)
- Support FM tuner radio cards, and FM tuner feature of WinTV cards (is already done as of 1.6.3)
Ideas for the future
- Rate shows and get recommendations on other shows
- Save Shows to DVD-RW/CD-RW etc.